Ms. Isunza has over seven years of experience working in areas and issues related to international and commercial law, focusing particularly in secured transactions. In June 2014 Ms. Isunza began working as a secured transactions consultant for NatLaw and in January 2015 Ms. Isunza became a full-time Research Attorney with NatLaw. Ms. Isunza’s work at NatLaw is focused in the areas of secured transactions and other related commercial law areas including insolvency, alternative dispute resolution and warehouse receipt financing. Ms. Isunza is the Director of NatLaw’s recently launched “RUG E-Submit Service”.
Education and Certifications:
Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
- M.Sc. Public Policy, 2013
La Salle University, Mexico City
- Bachelor of Laws (J.D. equivalent), 2008
Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona, Spain
- Exchange program, 2006
Professional Work Experience:
Mexican Ministry of the Economy
Director of Area, 2010 – 2012
- As a civil servant, participated in the implementation of projects, mainly in the Mexican registry for movable collateral (RUG). She also participated in the law reforms made to several commercial regulations and was in charge of the dissemination strategy, particularly for secured transactions projects, the Mexican collateral registry and other electronic solutions created by the Ministry of the Economy. Ms. Isunza also conducted several workshops with the different stakeholders involved, e.g. bankers, lawyers, and civil servants, among others, with the NatLaw team.
Movable Collateral Registry, Project Leader, February 2010 – February 2012
- Led the legal and operational design of the registry and conducted the drafting of the registry’s regulations. Conducted several workshops with different stakeholders on secured transactions issues, including bankers, lawyers, federal and local civil servants, and academics. After the registry’s implementation, directed its operation and improvement and coordinated several awareness events and training sessions throughout the country. Started the negotiation and celebration of agreements with the Judiciary brand to coordinate special training campaigns for the judges.
Commercial Law Reforms, Legal Researcher, April 2010 – August 2012
- Drafted and lobbied for reforms to commercial laws aimed at increasing competitiveness and productivity. Led in the drafting of proposals and performed lobbying activities with deputies, senators, and civil servants of different agencies. These reforms were divided into three stages. The first stage included regulations to facilitate the incorporation of companies and to reduce associated costs. This set of reforms was approved by the Mexican Congress and published entering into force in December 2011. Coordinated the measurement of the reform’s impact with non-government institutions. The second set of reforms introduced more complex modifications to commercial and corporate transactions. The third set was aimed at significantly improving the secured transactions regulations. These second and third set of reforms were published in June 2014.
Ministry of the Economy – One-stop-shop tuempresa.gob.mx
Policy Advisor, February 2010 – August 2012
- Improvement of the electronic one-stop-shop “tuempresa.gob.mx” which was created by the government to facilitate the incorporation of companies. Led a team that created statistic data and its analysis and gave attention and capacity training to the public-citizens and Notaries at law. Participated in a bigger project named “electronic file of companies” that was built upon such a one-stop-shop. Devised the project into a legal draft that was included in the Commercial Law Reforms. This project consisted on the simplification of the government’s electronic solutions on commercial matters.
Jauregui, Navarrete & Nader – Philips Group expansion
Legal Advisor, December 2012
- Participated in the preparation and execution of the Philips group to expand in several countries. The strategy included a number of mergers, acquisitions, and liquidations of the company globally.
Jauregui, Navarrete & Nader – International Joint Venture
Legal Advisor, January 2009 – July 2009
- Practiced general corporate and commercial law and assisted national and international investors in connection with the following matters: negotiation and preparation of agreements and transactions in different industries including the energy, oil and sectors; advise and preparation of lending operations secured with personal property; aviation law, international leasing and purchasing of aircrafts; incorporation, mergers, acquisitions, spin-off, restructuring, dissolution and liquidation of all type of Mexican companies; assistance and incorporation of business and civil companies in Mexico (soft-landing); corporate and operative control, regularization and follow up of companies; preparation and negotiation of joint investment agreements; identification and implementation of mechanisms for foreign investment, as well as the acquisition of Mexican companies in different sectors; shareholders’ conflict resolution; experience in intellectual property, including registration of trademarks and litigation; and government contract practice including lobbying and strategic planning.
Selected Presentations, Professional Publications and Awards
- Speaker, Secured Transactions Overview for Mozambique, Bank of Mozambique, Maputo, Mozambique, August, 2014.
- Speaker, Aspectos legales sobre el Registro Unico de Garantias Mobiliarias (Legal Considerations of the Mexican Registry of Security Interests on Personal Property), Delegacion de la Secretaria de Economia en Hermosillo, Sonora, December 15, 2011
- Speaker, El Registro Unico de Garantias Mobiliarias y el portal Tuempresa (The Mexican Registry of Security Interests on Personal Property and the one-stop-shop Tuempresa), Colegio de Notarios del Estado de Jalisco, Guadalajara, Jal., September 8, 2011
- Speaker, Taller Portal Tuempresa y Registro Unico de Garantias Mobiliarias (Workshop One-Stop-Shop Tuempresa and Mexican Registry of Security Interests on Personal Property), Instituto Mexicano de Contadores Publicos del Estado de Guanajuato, Leon, Gto., August 9, 2011
- El Registro Unico de Garantias Mobiliarias Mexicano, Journal La Barra, (Barra Mexicana Colegio de Abogados), written jointly with Jan Boker, (2011).
- Chevening Scholarship, granted by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, UK Government, July 2012
- High Level Program for Federal Civil Servants, granted by Conacyt, Mexico Government, August 2012